Friday, September 10, 2010

School is in Session

sunset in Zambia - taken at Ibis Gardens

Yesterday was the first day of school - one of the teachers is ill, so I immediately became a sub-assistant in the room - I also was able to run my first group with this class - it was alot of fun and today I was able to run the group again and the kids were singing one of the songs out in the playground after.

Today, I began the task of starting to assess some of the students at school - it is make-shift, but seems to be working okay - I assessed four kids and then had the opportunity to meet with Kathleen and the teachers to discuss - this was interesting and one of the teachers expressed an interest in learning more about music therapy as she believes that it can enhance how she works with the students.

I am learning much about the culture of Zambia, but also about the people that I am able to interact with. All seem eager to hear about me and where I am from as well as share their life experiences and stories, too. This has been highly enjoyable and I look forward to continuing to listen to people's stories.

I am trying to upload photos, but so far no dice.

Also, a story for M'lade, Steve and Stephanie (whom I know will appreciate this) - so, my flight to Zambia was uneventful for the most part - I basically slept. However, for the first time EVER, the overhead compartment about me opened when we were taking off and a bottle and snickers bar fell on my head - this after just watching the safety video where an animated person had bags fall on their head. I knew the three of you would want to hear this story :)

No comments:

Post a Comment