Thursday, September 9, 2010

Butterfly Kisses

I was supposed to post this yesterday, but I couldn't get a good connection, so...on the day that I arrived I saw and smelled that the land surrounding the Village had been scorched. Apparently in the dry season, bush fires are common and they just go until they burn themselves out. However, at the Village the farming students were supposed to do a controlled burn, but it quickly got out of control, so much of the land surrounding the garden and homes is scorched. But, I am told that despite the fact that it will not rain for at least 3 more months, green grass will grow ... there is no explanation, but grass and trees grow in the dry season. Beside this scorched area grows 230 tomato plants, green maize (to eat), cabbage heads and potatoes. Yesterday I helped the school teachers set up their classrooms and the library that is set up - dusting shelves and books. I must admit by the end of it I, too, was covered in a layer of dirt as it is VERY dusty in Zambia at this time of year. On the flip side - no mosquitoes!!! I also had the chance to observe an impromptu game of dodge ball with the children and received my first butterfly kisses - she said "auntie" (for this is what they call me and all others, unless you are a man, then you are uncle), took  my arm and said "butterfly kisses" and fluttered her lashes against my skin. I can't remember the last time I received a butterfly kiss - so innocent and sweet, I, in turn, reciprocated. Also, I drove yesterday - can you believe that I was allowed to do this, for those who know me well? Plus, I had to drive on what, for us, is the wrong side of the road. Amazingly, I killed no one and did not hit anything! This was a good start to my days here in Zambia and I am excited for what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment